We want you to feel that you have made the right choice. Not only in your choice of car but in your choice of dealership, so we have put together a quick used car guide with some helpful hints and tips to make sure you have total peace of mind when you make your next car purchase.
● Compile a shopping checklist. That way you won’t walk away with something that is not fit for purpose. For example, child seat fittings. If they are critical to the car's suitability, make sure you check for them.
● Consider running costs. There are online tools that can help estimate the rough cost of running a car and you can check out how much road tax you'll need to pay on the Gov.uk website.
● Check your financial options. If you are using a finance product to fund the purchase then figure out your budget and explore the various finance options available so that you can make an informed decision.
● Compile a used car checklist. You can work through this when inspecting a potential car. Look for signs of damage or repair, poor tyre condition, noticeable oil leaks, infotainment system, door and window functionality. Essentially you want to make sure everything is in good working order.
● Don’t be put off by high-mileage. If a car has been well-cared for mechanically, high mileage shouldn’t deter you. Just make sure you check the service history.
● Take a test drive. You must check for brake and clutch effectiveness and unusual rattles or buzzes when driving. Also, look at comfort features like the suitability of your driving position.
● Buying from an approved used dealer gives you reassurance. It may be a little more expensive than privately buying, but all of our used cars here at BS Marson have had a multipoint inspection and come with a minimum 12-month warranty.
● Insure the new car. Make sure you have your car insurance in place before you take ownership of the car, otherwise you will be driving illegally.
● Compile a collection checklist. Make sure you have the V5C ownership document (unless you’ve bought the car on finance), servicing records, any spare keys, and a detailed and dated sales receipt that includes your name, address, full details of the car, the agreed price, and payment amount.
If you need any further guidance, we will be happy to help you. Contact the team at BS Marson today.